The UFO Orbital Buffer Attachment
45 pound geared orbital sands faster without swirl marks.
Adds orbital action and dust containment to your buffer.
Uses standard 16 screens & abrasives
Patented Orbital Attachment
- 13.7 dia, 5 high, 42lbs (without accessories)
- Uses a 16 MightyLOC brush driver on the bottom to drive maintenance pad and abrasives.
- All Aluminum Housing Construction
- Uses Standard clutch driver to mount on most popular buffers (Clarke, Alto, Ceno, Mastercraft, Mercury, General, Powerflite and more).
- The dust pipe is used as an anchor for the housing and must be used to enable orbital action.
- Operates with any shop vac/commercial style vacuum (standard 1 1/2 vacuum pipe).
- Unit has 9 sealed bearings, 5 hardened steel gears, and almost 100 total parts.
- Built in slip clutch
- Long life gears and double sealed bearings
What is the UFO?
It's an attachment that goes on a regular 1 1/2 hp 175 RPM buffer and turns it into the fastest sanding orbital sander. It can be removed for ease of transport or to use the buffer with a standard pad driver.
What does it do?
- It cuts 3 times or more FASTER. The orbital unit adds 50% more weight while the geared orbital action doubles the distance the abrasive travels increasing sanding speed while reducing scratches and swirl marks.
- It can sand fast enough to practically REMOVE CHATTER MARKS!
- It PRODUCES A GREAT FINISH!
What makes the UFO better?
- It uses regular 16 screens, PSA Sand Paper, and double backed sand paper. No special paper required.
- You do not need to carry another large piece of equipment - just use with the buffer you already bring.
- The buffer handles like a normal buffer. You do not have to push it around.
- GREAT DUST COLLECTION!!! Our patented concept of drawing the dust into the brush driver and through the unit is very efficient when used with sand screens. Sand right up to the wall!!
- UNIQUE SANDING PATTERN THAT IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT THAN ANY OTHER ORBITAL STYLE SANDER - ABRASIVE TURNS AT 175 RPM WHILE THE GEARED ACTION FORCES AN ORBITAL MOVEMENT. CREATES A DIFFERENT PATTERN EACH ROTATION FOR A TRUE NONREPEATING ACTION.
Please note the only 110 volt buffers we recommend are heavy duty 1.5hp or greater. Some medium duty buffers can still be used by changing to a 11-1 ratio gearbox (reduces rpm to 156). Most 220 volt 175 RRM buffers will run the UFO without a problem.
-It's Faster! 3-6 times faster than a regular buffer! So you save time.
-Dust collection! Only system that can sand to the WALL!
-The 16 edger? You can screen right up to the wall. Less time spent in finish edging.
-It has ORBITAL ACTION!
-Hallways with cross grain wood can be sanded with your large machine and then finished with the UFO. Easier than edging the whole hallway again and again!
-Borders, parquette, inlays, herringbone and more are simple! Sand and screen as usual. The orbital action takes care of the normal problems with swirl marks.
-SANDS AWAY CHATTER WITH OUR SAND PAPER DRIVER -Get the Perfect finish for stains
UFO Customer Review Video
USING THE UFO
Putting the UFO on a buffer.
Put the maintaince pad on the pad driver to make it more comfortable to
pickup the UFO.
Put the dust tube through the hole in the buffer.
Then stand as shown and pull the UFO towards you.
Align the clutch plate and the motor gearbox by turning the red pad.
Then turn the pad clockwise while standing behind the buffer to lock the UFO on the buffer.
Next run the buffer for a few seconds with the pad off the floor to fully lock the clutch in place.
Place the sand screen on the floor, and with the buffer handle in the vertical storage position, position the back of the red pad over the screen and tip up the buffer.
UFO Hardwood Orbital Tips and Information
Sanding stain jobs with the UFO
We recommend finish sanding with screens for stain jobs. Screens finish sand the finest. Remember to vacuum the floor before running the orbital on the floor and before the final screening for stain. To finish sand the finest with the UFO we recommend thefinal orbital sand to be with the grain. Keep the handle in line with the grain and push and pull the buffer forward and backward like a drum sander with the grain. Sand from left to right and half lap the pad across the floor as you sand. When sanding with the UFO stain will wipe on the floor very smoothly and evenly. For
darkest results floors can be water popped or see below for another option
leaving wood open for stain. See owners manual for sanding diagrams (page 4).
UFO Sandpaper to leave wood open for stain
#1 Use a roll of sticky back autobody paper 80grit 5 or 6
#2 Remove release backer
#3 fold edges as shown to look pie slice shaped
#4 stick on 3 or 4 or 5 on your buffing pad!
Simple but works only on the UFO!
Leaves wood very open and stain soaks in deep and dark without
scratches or marks.
Stop Screens from slipping under orbitals
We manufacture a pad that eliminates screens from slipping out from under orbitals. This pad is a red maintenance pad with a thin white pad bonded together. The red pad allows the pad to be rigid and last longer under orbital conditions. While the thin white pad stops the screen from slipping. These pad last a very long time and can be reused over and over.
Part # SUDRW16
Hard plate with the UFO
Sand aggressively remove edger marks and chatter fast.
Use our Lexan PSA Sandpaper driver (Part# SUDPSA)
The driver is stiff and cuts flat, but still has a little flex to float with the floor
Use any grit sticky backed sandpaper 16 16-120grit (Part# S463-(grit))
When applying the sandpaper apply one piece of paper first and then the piece you are going to sand with over that piece. This allows the paper to be removed easily.
Cut out the center of the sandpaper to allow dust to be drawn through the center of the pad, to stop dust from building up in the center, and causing the pad to teeter and create scratches. With the UFO the only sandpaper that can be used is paper that fastens over the whole surface so it does not tear off.
Another option to use the 3M
16 Hook It. This has the plastic hook on the whole back of the
sandpaper and if you
drive it with a stiff maroon pad it will sand fast and flat. This 3M product is very sharp and cuts fast. Remember
to still cut out the center of the sandpaper to reduce scratching.
The oil that is provided is to be used very sparingly to oil the gears through the two oiler cups on the top of the UFO housing. Under normal use only a few drops of oil are needed in each oiler cup once a week. Please note that this oil is special mixed to allow it to be sticky enough to stay on the gears and not leak, but thin enough to wick where needed. Part # UF62
When replacing bearings always use double lip rubber sealed bearings for dusty or wet environments. If in doubt about what bearings to use please call or bearings will fail prematurely.
UFO Oscillator Attachment Buffer
- Manufacturer US Sander
- Product Code: UFO2
- Availability: 2